Friday, August 31, 2007

It's the 31st again...

I am a "proverb of the day" person. I like the way it always gives me a starting point in the Word, or a nice end of the day moment. But eight times a year I am not so eager to just dive right in to my Proverb. I think "well, maybe a Psalm of the day would be nice!"

Why? you might ask?

It's just such a daunting thing to read the qualities that King Lemuel's mother thought were so very important in a woman of virtue! Virtue is what went out of Jesus when he healed people! According to Second Peter it is what we are called to- "glory and virtue". Pretty heady stuff!

Now I am not sure exactly who King Lemuel is. No cross references, no list of lineages with his name. This only makes it more applicable! By the sheer fact that an unknown king's mother received an entire chapter-31 verses- devoted to her wisdom imparted on her son THE KING, makes them both extremely important! Jabez got 3 verses stuck in Chronicles, and there are books and coins and legions of "claimers" asking for their coasts to be enlarged. This lady got an entire chapter in one of the most read books of the Bible! Talk about needing a little more attention!

Whew, I need a glass of water...

OK, I am back!

In the now dozens of times I have read this chapter, I am struck every time with a new point, a fresh perspective. This truly is a living Book! One fresh thought the Lord showed me was this verse. Pro 31:12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

I have two daughters, 16 and 4. The days they are living right now, are part of the "all the days of her life"!! I was so shocked when the thought fully hit! I would be remiss if I didn't teach all of my children-not just my girls- that their someday-spouse deserves their best, even before they meet them!

There is another whole part to this post, and sadly I don't have the time to get it all down right now. Little S. is in her jammies and a blankie swiveling on the rocker next to me, and it is very late! The little princess and her momma need to go for now! (And I happen to know from a reliable source that long posts often don't get read!)

Good night for now!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Depending on my mood, sometimes I LOVE this Proverb and sometimes I'm overwhelmed! Short, sweet, thought-provoking - EXCELLENT post!

Hindsey said...

it's true... long posts never get read.

Victoria said...

Wanted to tell you - love the new pic in the right corner! It's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post, of Poverbs 31, its always interesting to get another angle of it, & thanks for all the hard work you do as missionaries!!!
I found your post through Friedokra.