Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What is inside...

When it comes to trials, there are a few common things I am learning most about them.

They come unexpectedly. There is little time to think before you need to respond. The response is a very good gauge of who you are deep down inside- to the fiber of your being.

A friend said to me yesterday, "When the 'cup' gets bumped, what is inside comes spilling out."

How true that is! What have I filled my cup with? What will come pouring out in the midst of a trial? What will that say of my faith? Really, how big is God to me?

In the midst of great adversity and sorrow, people speak of barely being able to function. Yesterday a friend said after her son died, she was unable to even chew, let alone prepare food. Such great sorrow. Any amount of Bible reading is sometimes impossible. Prayer is solely through the groaning of the Holy Spirit making intercession.

I am learning that I need to daily fill myself with God's word, and let it transform me, that in the day of adversity, I will stand strong.


Proverbs 24:10 If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small.


What strength looks like is sometimes very deceiving. Many may have thought Jesus was weak when he wept at the grave of Lazarus. In the garden as Jesus prayed "not my will but thine be done", I am sure he could have been accused of being less than strong. But we know he is the epitome of strength.


We are told that we are to put on the whole armor of God, so that we can stand.


True victorious Christian living is not fighting, wrestling, struggling. It is standing.


Not being blown over when the wind blows, but resting in the knowledge of who controls the wind. Not running and seeking shelter in the wisdom of man, but allowing God to shelter us in the shadow of his wings for truly that is where we find peace.


These are things that we may not truly understand until our cup gets bumped, but it better at least be in the cup in the first place.
Photobucket

No comments: