Sunday, November 11, 2007

The depths of shallowness!

I wonder why I think the way that I do! If you must give me your thoughts, please do be kind... I may be forced to moderate...! (hey, if you comment, I would make sure to leave it... It may never happen again!)

Anyhow, the reason the wonder came up about the way I think is...

After teen class today Pastor T. offered all the students little plastic bracelets to remind them all to pray for a student that is taking a trip to Dominican Republic for a missions/hurricane relief trip. Nice idea, cute bracelets-kind of like the hospital issue ones only red. Therein lies the problem, They are red! I, for a fleeting moment, thought no way! It is red! I don't like red! It is bright and just a little obnoxious! Someone might ask, "So why do you have a red hospital-like bracelet on?" Then I would would have to tell them.... WAIT! That would be a good thing! I was being so shallow! I would definitely think about this young man much more with that little piece of plastic strapped on my wrist, and that would accomplish the desired result... I would remember to pray for him!

This entire discourse actually occurred in my tiny little head... in the span of about 1.2 seconds! I quickly placed it on my wrist, and haven't thought another moment about it's color. I did, however, continue to think about the reason behind the whole hesitation. Am I really so vain that I would forgo a reminder to pray because of the color? How many other things in my life have I allowed to go on unchecked? Is this really a big deal? OH MY! I could be in the middle of a crisis, and not even realize it!

Now lest you think I am serious here and begin planning an intervention to save me from myself, I must also tell you what the message in church was. It was out of Ephesians, and Mr. G was saying that every day we should have a goal set forth to be accomplished. Every day there should be lasting fruit that is pleasing to God. We should work -every day!- to the end that it would be a profitable day in light of eternity, not just school, work, facebook... whatever consumes our day! (I was already beating myself up on how much time I waste. It wasn't going to take much more to knock me out completely ... the little red piece of PVC really had the advantage over me!)

I kept thinking of all the days I (only!) do laundry, cook, clean, school...., yet never leave my house! How will that ever produce spiritual fruit? Can I really pray, "Lord, my goal is that all of my children will be fed, clothed and still breathing smiling at the end of the day", and expect lasting fruit to be laid up in heaven? Yikes! I would be ashamed to tell you all the days I would pray that! It would be more times than I care to think! I guess the phrase "the heart of the matter is the matter of the heart" applies here, too. ( Just like it does every where else! )

I have a verse I cling to whenever I would really, really, really rather be doing something OTHER than what I am doing at the moment.

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

I know the verse applies directly to my attitude to my husband and being subject to his authority, but it really does do wonders for me when I think of it in reference to all aspects of my life. This laundry is my daughters, but I am doing it as if it is for the Lord. I am cleaning this bathroom, again, for the Lord. I will wear this ugly cute red band and pray for Spencer, as I would if it were for the Lord! Wow! It all seems so much, well, more worth it! I would do anything for the Lord! Especially if it was HIM, right here in front of me in flesh and blood asking me to do it, right? OF COURSE!!! Well, if I know my Bible... he is!!

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

The end of shallow and the secret to lasting fruit!

Hey, there are extra bands... anyone want one?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our Savior's blood is red :)

Janice said...

An undeniable truth! And Thank Him that I am covered in it!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Janice...

* shaking head *

: )

Janice said...

Call me thick but I don't get it. Could it be the (early!) hour you posted? Or was this a kind of not-too-kind comment?!