Wednesday, November 12, 2008

America, America, God Shed His Grace on Thee...


In browsing the cover page on iGoogle this article caught my eye. The title "Be good not godly" certainly is catchy. But I might ask, why are they even saying "Be good"? Why not say what they really think and just write "Go ahead and do whatever you want to do. Who cares what another thinks." We would not want them to stifle their proclivities now, would we?

This comes on the heels of a conversation I had with a co worker the other day. Her statement was along the lines of what is the big deal if the gays and lesbians want to get married? Who cares? What is it going to hurt if they have the right to get married? All I can say is, God Help Us!

The generally polled statistic is 92% of Americans believe in God. I might amend that to say they believe in a god. But lets give the benefit of the doubt, and if the do believe in God, what good is it if they do not fear him? And what good is it if they don't know him? And what good is it if, after all is said and done, he does not know them?

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.


I struggle with being "in [their] face" at these times and coming across less than gracious, but with mamby pamby being the order of the day, people are lulled to sleep and don't even know it. They are like the man I saw on my way into work the other day. He was nearly laying down on a bench outside of the mall precariously close to falling off of it, with a lit cigarette barely in his hands, and falling asleep. I made my way passed him just as sleep overtook him. The cigarette finally dropped out of his hands, his head hit the hard metal bench, and he was jolted awake. He looked up at me like I had pushed him!

People everywhere are falling asleep. We need to be a hard surface for them to wake up on! And we need to extinguish the ember from their verbal cancer before it hits the ground and ignites the unsuspecting and unguarded minds of those around them. OK- weird analogy, but it was so visual to me! What if that man was in a home and that happened? Certainly the bench would have been a very unjolting cushy couch, and the concrete ground would have been a nice soft petroleum-based synthetic carpet ready to ignite from the fallen cigarette! Many have died in real house fires from this exact scenario. How many are dying and we don't see it. Fires of destruction in their minds. Plumes of smoke that choke out the truth of the Word of God.

Isaiah 9:18 For wickedness burneth as the fire: it shall devour the briers and thorns, and shall kindle in the thickets of the forest, and they shall mount up like the lifting up of smoke.

There is another smoke that needs to billow. It is from incense that comes with our prayers.

Revelation 8:4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

This is powerful stuff. This gets mixed with Fire from the throne of God, and is thrown down to Earth to overcome all kinds of wickedness. I know this is in Revelation, but if God wants to throw down Holy Fire that is mixed with prayers of the saints in this day to combat the evil of this world, I want mine to be included! This is not a battle to be fought on Main Street or Wall Street. This is a battle to be fought in the closets of our heart communing with God pleading for the life of this nation. The colors of our flag may not fade or run, but they do bleed. And we are bleeding. Badly. Only god can staunch the flow, and heal our land. But it starts with "If my people...".

No comments: