Monday, March 12, 2018

7 Sleeps...

Yesterday was our last Sunday Service in the bush. Not forever, Lord Willing, but for a long while. 
The people were so sweet, and at the end of service called us to the front and each group sent a representative to express their hearts, and honor us. Big Tree, Chikoka, the Youth, Mapungu Village - where they had to walk over 6 HOURS to attend, Muliliwa Village - they walked over 2 hours! Plus several men from other churches who have been attending Dan’s Men’s Bible Study on Tuesday’s for more than the last year. 

We were admonished to tell all of our stateside friends and family that we are Zambian now, and Must Please Come Back! 

We were told of their heartfelt gratitude as through the teachings their ears, which were once closed, are now open and their hearts have received the Gospel. Such sweet and hopeful testimonies from people who in this life, by my American standard, have so very little. 
They gave us gifts. 

Hand carved and decorated Cooking spoons, a hand carved mortar and pestle, bowls, 15 lbs of cracked corn and a huge bag of peanuts. 

A Goat. 
Savannah named him. He is safe forever now! 
3 Chickens. 

2 pigeons. 

Money. 
Sounds like a new song: the “12 days Of Zambia”! We were so humbled. 

And it was a little crazy too! We cannot possible eat all they gave us in one week! We certainly cannot bring most of it home with us. 
The money, shown in the picture is worth $1.15.  For them, that would pay to grind over 80 pounds of corn at the hammer mill, enough to feed their family for a few weeks! What a sacrifice! Especially knowing most don’t have any income coming in for a few months- Wow! what generosity! 

And as I woke this morning, the Lord spoke to my heart as only He does. 
While I was tempted to think, “they shouldn’t give us these things, we have enough! If they only knew....!” I kept thinking They Need this all so much more!! 

But... Jesus says “give and it shall be given”. They gave... as we taught them to give! 
I don’t want to sound callous or ungrateful- simply make the point. 

I don’t need cooking spoons! Or $1.15. I certainly don’t need a goat! These sweet, generous people truly sacrificed of what so very little they have, to honor us and show us their love for us. While it has little physical value, the spiritual and emotional and eternal value is huge! 

They GET IT! What more could we hope than to see a physical demonstration of doing what they’ve been taught to do!!? 

And how does God see my giving? Is it like this at all? My little life and the things I think are so valuable, and he says “Give” knowing it is a sacrifice to me. Knowing He doesn’t need it! Knowing I Need to Give! 

He sees my heart. Is it pure in my sacrifice? Is it even a sacrifice!?? I'm tempted to look at all the things I've given UP, but truly, what have I given? 
Im praying we finish this term well. I'm looking forward to being home and seeing my children. Enjoying some American treats and comforts. 

But there will be a difference in my mind. Im wondering if my heart will never fully be At Home while home. I've read so many Cross Culture blogs and books. Ex-Pats telling of their stories how they don't feel like they truly belong to their passport country, and I've thought, "That will never be me!" While I don't know for sure yet, but I'm feeling like I need to mentally and emotional prepare myself that maybe this time... it will be me.

sig 2

No comments: